Do you ever find yourself hitting the shuffle button on your ipod, itunes, or any other i, and the result is a highly prophetic mix of songs? Growing up I had a friend who used to say that the shuffle function can act as a kind of magic 8 ball. Ask it a question (doesn’t have to be a yes or no question), hit the shuffle button, and interpret away. The following is my “Ask the Shuffle” mix for today:
My Question: How is my day going to be?
1. “Pencil Rot” – Stephen Malkmus
-My day is going to be pencil rot? I don’t like the sound of that.
2. “Painter In Your Pocket” – Destroyer
-I can never figure out what Destroyer is talking about…
3. “Million Miles” – Bob Dylan
-Some insight into a lovah of past?
4. “If It Smashes Down” – My Morning Jacket
-Is some accident predestined?
5. “Love And Some Verses” – Iron & Wine
-Ooooo. Perhaps an unexpected romance is waiting.
6. “I Know, and I Said Forget It” – Mates of State
-The opening line is “The symptom seems run down.” I hurt my ankle on Monday and it seems to be healing. So, maybe the symptom is running down…
7. “Heaven Is a Truck (Egg Shell)” – Pavement
-I have been watching the fantastic new video for “Heaven Can Wait” by Charlotte Gainsbourg (feat. Beck) a lot today.
8. “Trippy Green Skull” – Dan Deacon
-Hmmmm. Not sure about this one.
9. “When the Levee Breaks” – Led Zeppelin
Not sure how enlightening the shuffle will be today but I enjoyed the mix. Shuffle up and deal!